Saturday, April 5, 2008

Birth Story



On our birthdays my mom would always tell us our birth stories. "I remember the day you were born..." she would start. This is PooBa's birth story.





This pic is two days before you were born. See how big I was!












The day you were born I went to work at 6:20 am, just like normal. I had no idea you were coming, in fact I was sure you wouldn't be here until a week after your due date, and your due date was still three days away. When I got to work I saw that a friend of mine, Ryan, was also working and I hadn't seen him in several weeks. About a month before you were born he gave another co-worker of mine a 24 hr guarantee that her baby would be born by yelling at her belly, "Get out of there!", and within 24 hrs her baby was born. Now I had to work the next day so I asked him if he did too so he could give me his 24hr guarantee after work, but because he didn't have to work then he said he would go ahead and yell at my belly right then and call it a 72 hr guarantee. So that's what he did. At 11:30 or so he yelled at you to get out and said you had 72 hours, but you weren't fooled, you knew he had yelled the same thing for his 24 hour guarantee and you weren't going to wait. By 1pm I knew you were on your way!

Even though I knew you were coming I still thought you would take a long time and I wanted to stay at work until the end of my shift at 7pm. I tried to tell my boss that I could stay but she thought we should be careful and got me a replacement just in case. By 3pm I knew I needed to go home and get ready for you, but I couldn't leave until 4pm when I was done with my work.
Then, as I was walking out to my car I realized that your daddy had taken the key to unlock the car off my key ring and forgotten to tell me so I was stuck in Wichita! I tried to break into the car on my own but with you on the way I didn't have enough patience and gave up. I tried to call hospital security but they said they couldn't help me and gave me the number for Pop-a-lock. When I called them they said it would be quite a while before they could get there so I mentioned that I was in labor. At first he didn't believe me but when I said I was serious he asked why I wanted to leave a hospital! I explained that our Dr's were in another town and he said, "It will be 20 minutes"!

I finally got home at about 5pm and because your grandparents had given us a cell phone the day before your daddy already knew you were coming and he got home just a few minutes after me. By then the contractions were about 5 minutes apart so while your daddy got the bags packed I took a shower. When I got done the contractions were suddenly only 2 minutes apart so we knew we had to go to the hospital soon. Daddy called the hospital and my friend, Faby, who was going to help us while we were at the hospital, and we finally got to the hospital at 6:50pm.


It took a long time to get everything ready once we were there. We listened to your heartbeat and watched my contractions on a machine for an hour. The nurse checked to see how close we were to being ready for you to come and I was about half way there at 5 cm dilated. She drew blood for lab work and put an IV in my arm just in case I would need special medicine. Finally she was all done and Faby and your daddy and I could relax while we waited for you to come. We took a walk, got your daddy some coffee, and even played a game.

This is right after we got to the hospital while we listened to your heartbeat.








This is Daddy rubbing my back to help me feel better when the contractions would come.
















This is Daddy and I playing a game while we waited for you.







At 9pm it was time for the nurse to check me again and I was 6 cm dilated, which made me a little sad because I thought we would be closer to ready by then. On the other hand we thought it was good because your daddy hadn't eaten any supper and was really hungry, so we sent Faby to get some food for him and she and the nurse left the room. As soon as they were both gone I had another contraction and my water broke and the contraction started to hurt a little more. We called the nurse back to check me and I was 8 cm! The nurse called the Dr and started to get things ready.




This was when I wasn't feeling so good, but I was still happy and excited because I knew it meant you would be here soon and I could hardly wait to meet you!






Soon Faby came back and the Dr got there and checked me again and before too much longer I was ready to push you out! It took an hour and a half to push you out and it wasn't easy but it also wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Only the last little bit was really hard, but it didn't last very long and suddenly you were out and the Dr put you in my arms. Your Daddy is a little queasy when it comes to blood so he didn't think he wanted to watch you come out but he did look twice to see how much hair you had and after you were born he even cut your cord!
Everyone was very excited and we were rubbing you dry and looking at how beautiful you were and the nurse was checking you to make sure everything was ok and the Dr was checking me to make sure I was ok and then I had to take some medicine and all the time all I could do was look at you because you were soooooo beautiful! You learned to nurse right away and while you nursed your daddy and I just watched you, you were so amazing. We were so focused on you we didn't even know what Faby or the nurse or Dr were doing, but I think they were looking at you too. When the Dr left she told me that we had done a very good job and said you were soooo beautiful!



Here you are nursing right after you were born and below is a picture of your dad and I just loving you!




















You were born at 11:41 am.
You weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz, were 19 1/2 inches long and your head was 12 1/2 inches around.


Here is a very tired but very happy Faby. She took a lot of these beautiful pictures of you and was a very big help to me while we waited for you to be born.




After you were born and we had a chance to look at you for a while we remembered that there were lots of other people waiting to hear about you so we started making phone calls. We called your daddy's parents and my parents and both of our sisters and brothers. We decided to call everyone else in the morning because it was already after 1am. My parents decided to come and see you right away and Faby stayed with us until we decided to go to sleep too. My mom, your grandma gave you your first bath.




Here are my parents, your grandparents, holding you for the first time.



























Here you are getting your first bath while Faby and the rest of us watch. You weren't very happy about it at first but you calmed down pretty quickly.






















Eventually everyone went home except for you, your daddy and I. Your daddy was very tired and went to sleep on a couch in our room but I had too much adrenaline in my system to fall asleep and I stayed awake most of the night looking at you and nursing you.


Too be continued.....

No comments: