Saturday, April 14, 2012

all fall down...

So Thursday at about 3:30 am I was checking on my pt at work and trying not to wake up her husband who was sleeping on the pull out couch in their room, when I totally miss-judged how close I was to the corner of the couch (very dark room, black couch) and I hit the deck harder than I ever remember falling before.  I couldn't even tell you how exactly I landed, it all happened so fast, but I remember thinking I needed to try to catch myself but being disoriented as I fell because of how dark it was in the room and smacking my cheek on the floor.  I didn't loose consciousness or anything, but I definitely woke up the husband and both of them were very concerned about their poor nurse.  I told them I was ok, just embarrassed and I sat there for just a minute to make sure nothing felt broken before trying to stand up.  My cheek didn't feel too bad, my right shin felt bruised but not broken, and my left wrist and finger were obviously bruised but I didn't thing they were broken either, so I stood up, took care of my patient and told them not to worry, I was fine. I went out to the nurse's station and got a couple of ice packs and sat down.  My finder and wrist hurt the most so I started with them and they were definitely starting to swell.  I decided to put the other ice pack on my shin and when I lifted up my pant leg I was shocked to see that it was already a huge bruise about the diameter of a softball and at least 1/4 of an inch or more elevated.  My coworkers helped me tape the ice pack on my shin nice and snug and then we decided I should probably go to the ER just to get checked out since the bruises were so bad.  One of my coworkers took me over there in a wheelchair, which was embarrassing but nice because it is a very long walk.  They took x-rays and it turned out that I actually did break my finger, so they splinted it for me and told me I could go back to work.  I'm supposed to go in and get more x-rays taken on Tuesday after work.  The Dr wasn't sure exactly how bad the break was because it was difficult to see on the x-ray so he wanted me to follow up in a few days and hopefully get some better views.  One break a splint will do just fine, the other he said, "is a whole other story", so I am hoping for the simple break!  It really doesn't hurt unless one of the boys grabs it or something, and I have been very careful, but it does make work and changing Aaron's diapers a lot more complicated.  It does look pretty nasty though and since this is my worst injury since I was a kid I thought I ought to document it.  If you don't want to see pics of bruises, don't go any further.  (-;


My left hip, didn't even realize it was bruised until later.


Most of the other pics it is hard to see the bruising but I definitely feel it.  Here are a couple of my ginormous finger.


My left wrist...


My cheek, thankfully I don't have a black eye and didn't break anything on my face, but I wouldn't have minded an excuse to get a nose job!  (-;


A couple of my right shin...



So, I am either turning on more lights when I go check on my pt's  (there was just one low floor light on) or investing in a flashlight to carry in my pocket.

No comments: