Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Driving with a toddler

We drove from Kansas to Indiana the other day and Luke did sensational. Honestly it was the most fun I have ever had on a trip since he was born! He was happy when he was awake and easily entertained. He slept about half the time we drove and fell asleep easily without tears. We rented a car so we had a nice quiet comfortable ride with air conditioning that actually worked! We only had to stop once for an extended period of time, for supper in Kansas City.

Supper was probably my favorite part of the whole drive. We stopped at our favorite Panera on the south side of KC. We love the food and don't eat there except on trips so it is always a treat to go, plus I always relish the fact that it isn't McDonald's!!! The food is healthier so it doesn't leave you feeling like you need to puke. Everyone around kept commenting on what a cute little boy Luke is, how well behaved, how well he eats with regular silverware, etc. It was fun to hear, and I am so proud of him. This particular Panera is in a group of buildings that form a square around a courtyard in the center. The courtyard is really very large with plenty of room to run around in and get out some energy, and it is really pretty too with lots of green grass, flowers and even a few big shade trees. Greg and I took turns playing chase with Luke for about 15 minutes after we ate and it was so much fun listening to his laughter.

After supper I drove from KC to Indianapolis. I love the drive through Missouri and it was still light out so I actually got to see it. Also since I am used to staying up late I could easily drive until 3am, no problem. Greg got me a caramel late and I stuck my favorite CD's in one by one and just enjoyed the drive. It was also nice to have Greg in back when Luke got tired and needed to go to sleep, because if I am back there he would have asked to nurse, but with Greg back there he knows it isn't an option so it is easier for him to fall asleep happily in his car seat. It was sweet to hear his happy sounds back there as he and Greg played and interacted.

Now that we are here we are enjoying time with family and just relaxing. The last part of our trip will be really busy so I guess if we are going to relax and laze around a bit now is the time. Luke has enjoyed playing with cousins Anna and Isaac and whenever Dennis and Anita get home he exclaims, "Pawpaw!" or "Mimi!", as the case may be, very happily.

We enjoyed seeing friends at church and seeing how big all the kids are getting. My adopted grandma from when my parents were in VS was there and she got a nice big hug and kiss from Luke! Afterward we had lunch with family including Luke's Great Grandma and when everyone was done eating Luke insisted that she come take a nap with us which was pretty cute. Luke is enjoying playing in Pawpaw's ponds, eating all the snacks Mimi will give him and playing with all kinds of toys that are new to him. When I get home I will have to post a few pics.

Anyway, it is a very good trip so far, hope everyone is doing good at home too!

No comments: