Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Winfield

Ahhh, Winfield! I am really, really far behind on my posting but I am trying to get caught up a bit. Winfield is the 3rd weekend in September, so I am definitely behind by trying to blog about it now!



This year we spent two days and nights there, Greg can't handle more than that and we weren't sure how well Luke would do either, but he did wonderfully! It was a blast. We got there around noon on Friday and got our tent set up and then headed into the grounds for some music. First on the bill was an old favorite, Bepe Gambetta!





Luke did the traditional kid thing and played in the dirt where ever we happened to be, finding trash other people had discarded and filling it and emptying it with dirt!



Luke started things off wearing his own hat, but as you will see he soon decided that everyone else had better hats and he wore all the hats he could get his hands on. He is still enthralled with hats and frequently asks to wear his hat when we are at home or in the car or whatever.




We usually try to sit in groups with my Regier cousins, aunts and uncles, in the one below you can see my cousin Daniel and his girlfriend Sarah!





Luke attempting to help my dad with terere, a traditional Paraguayan drink my family loves, always present at Winfield and great for staying hydrated and cool in the hot afternoon sun.







We usually bring our own food for breakfast and lunch and then buy supper on the grounds. Indian tacos and gyros and turkey legs are among the favorites. For breakfast we just brought cereal and milk, which we kept in a cooler, but all the Regiers camp together and there were a lot of other options to share for breakfast, coffee cake and home-made yogurt among them. For lunch we brought apples, chips, pitas, hummus and home grown tomatoes along with lots of snack food and cookies. It was delicious!

.............................................


Yeah for my new nursing dress on clearance!!! It made it supper easy to nurse in public at the festival and not get overheated by having to use a blanket to cover up!





Luke is 19 months and still nursing. Our goal is now to nurse until he is 2, according to the world health organization recommendations and many other developed country's pediatric association recommendations, including Canada. I think the US is the only one I know of who only recommends a minimum of one year, do they think we just can't do it??? I bet we would have a lot better success if we had paid maternity leave for a whole year like they do in Canada!!! Statistics show that most American women stop early because of having to go back to work at three months or even earlier. Ok, off my soap box!



Tim and his girlfriend Liz, very sweet!






Sweet child of mine! He took all his naps on either mine or my Mom's lap.








Some camper fun. (we tented, this is my parent's pop up). Luke was really excited to see what was in everything and how each know or latch worked! We had our hands full!












The Regiers in their traditional evening spot down in front of the grand stand stage!





Luke did really well, even with the late nights. He had recently learned how to throw temper tantrums though, his are extremely mild, and we got to witness a couple late in the evening. Generally when he is unhappy with me for telling him no about something he very gently lies down on the ground and cries for a minute or two, doesn't even scream unless I try to move him, and then he is done and he gets up and we are ok again. At Winfield he did basically the same thing but then decided that he was really mad and he bit the dirt!!! It was too funny. He got up looking horrified and sticking out his tongue and pointing at his mouth and crying! I laughed but quickly took him to the bathroom to help him wipe out his mouth, explaining that this is what happens when you bite dirt! A few minutes later he got mad at me again and did the same thing, but I guess twice was enough because that was the last time. I wish I had that on video, his face was priceless!






Greg inherited a half eaten turkey leg from one of my cousins, and shared it with Luke... He looked like a little bird!



Another hat, this time Grandpa's!





I think Greg is now famous for his scary faces!




Another hat, this one a Chiefs hat from a cousin...



Just one pic of musicians, we really enjoyed some very good music there, it was a good year for great bands!




More hats, this time mommy's cowgirl hat!















It was a really fun weekend! I can't wait for next year!

1 comment:

Bekah said...

cute pics. & yay for still nursing. Caleb is too. He'll be 2 in a bit over 2 weeks *gasp* scary lol