Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lions and Eeyore's and Witches, oh my!

Last Friday, the 23rd, Greg and I took Luke and met Amy, Derrick and their son Glen at the zoo for Night of the Living Zoo, an event they hold every year around Halloween. Luke was a lion (for a $1 from Etc. Shop) and Glen was Eeyore (also from a second hand shop!).


Luke wouldn't wear the lion mask so we pained his face and I wore it, at least for a little while anyway.



Cute kiddos!



I think they both had fun running around but in general it was definitely a little beyond them. Luke was really excited about the candy but he was too little to understand that you were not supposed to eat all the candy as soon as you got it. He knew he was supposed to ask for candy and that the were giving it to him but why didn't he get to eat it?!? We didn't stay too late and headed over to Amy and Derricks house for apple cider and a little play time for the boys.



(Luke is pushing Glen in he stroller with Amy)





Somehow I never got Derrick in a picture, but I did catch Greg relaxing on a KU bean bag!




Boys are still little enough to think kissing is cool! I love it!




On the way to their house Luke was drinking some water and when he wasn't thirsty anymore he decided that it would be fun to spit it all over himself. By the time we got to Amy and Derrick's he was soaked so we had to take his shirt off. (-:


Luke loves Veggie Tales and Glen loves Baby Einstein.




On Saturday the 24th my mom and I went to see the musical Wicked on tour here in Wichita at Century II. I knew most of the story from my mom and from hearing the soundtrack but I hadn't had a chance to read it yet so I didn't know exactly how everything happened or how it ends. I know the tickets were expensive, but it was soooo worth it!!!







Row R was right about the middle and our seats were just a little to the left of center, not bad at all!



It was incredible! I was blown away by it all, the costumes the performers and the performances they gave! I was on the verge of tears most of the way through, just so overwhelmed by it all, and I bawled at the end! I wish I could see it again, but I don't think I can afford that!

Afterwards I took my Mom to one of my favorite restaurants, Bone Fish Grill! I am not a seafood kind of girl, but I always love whatever I get there and I always get something different because I always order off the specials menu and we don't go very often.

Mom and I both got the same thing from the specials menu, Reah's Mahi Mahi! It was excellent. I also got a pomegranate martini which I love and we shared a creme brulee for dessert, scrumptious with whip cream and blue berries on top!



The pictures don't do it justice. I just wish my sister could have been there to share the afternoon with us! I know she would have enjoyed the whole thing and I miss her. It seems like so long since she was here this summer and we don't get to see her again until January! The other day Luke and I were looking at pics on my camera and I still have several of my favorites from when we went to Colorado with her, pics of her holding Luke and playing with him! I miss you sister!!!!
...................................................................
When I got home Luke was being supper sweet and giving me lots of kisses so I took a few more pics. He is such a loving little boy, I hope he stays that way. We spent the evening snuggled up together on the couch, reading books and watching a movie while we ate Kettle Corn (from the microwave). Maybe I am turning him into a couch potato, but I guess that is part of why it is sooo good for him to go out to Grammy and Grandpa's to play on the farm a few times a week!




I love him so!!!
..................................................................................................
Today, the 27th, he and I walked down town for lunch and we had so much fun together! Every time we walked through a bunch of leaves he would squeal and laugh as though he were being tickled or something! Also the first semi truck to pass us honked at us so I taught him how to do that sign that all kids and truckers know means to pull the horn and the whole rest of our outing anytime he saw a semi truck he would do that and they ALL honked for him! It was so cool!
.....................................................................
We had a really good lunch together too! We ate at a place called Prairie harvest, which is mostly a small local/organic/whole foods grocery, but it also has a nice little deli with really good, interesting, and tasty food to choose from. We got the Borscht, a slice of whole grain bread, an orange cream soda, and a little square of chocolate for dessert! Luke really ate very well and sat down for most of the meal! (something I have a hard time teaching him since we don't eat at the table due to ongoing construction in our house and a little laziness on my part).
................................................................
Just so you know he can throw a pretty good fit too. The other day when I took him to my mom's he was hungry when we got there and couldn't handle much of anything well. I don't remember what the fuss was all about but suddenly he was very upset with me and he threw himself on the ground several times in a row while screaming right in front of Grammy! We both laughed, he is so dramatic, and he did better once we got something in him.
...................................................................
Tonight he didn't have a long enough nap and woke up hungry to boot so I got another really good fit out of him, but this time with no Grammy to watch it went on quite a bit longer. He was trying to play with something dangerous and kept moving his stool around the kitchen so that he could get to wherever I had moved it away from him. I was trying to warm up some lentil soup for a quick supper since I didn't think he could last, and sure enough he only made it about two minutes before he'd had enough of me pushing him around. (-; He started screaming at me and I finally picked him up and took him into the living room away from whatever it was. He was so angry, nothing could distract him, if I left him be he tried to go back to the kitchen and I had to stop him. Finally I told him that I thought he needed a nap, I had tried to feed him and he wouldn't take a bite, so I picked him up and carried him up stairs kicking and screaming the whole way and lay down with him and offered to nurse, nothing worked. Suddenly through his tears he started signing that he wanted to eat. I asked him if he really wanted to eat and he nodded so I took him down stairs again and tried to feed him but again he tried to go to the kitchen! I picked him up and gently said, "Sweetie I think you are tired and hungry so you can either eat or I am taking you upstairs to sleep." After a couple more sobs he quieted down and sat down next to me at the coffee table, I tried to help him sit on my lap but he wasn't going to go that far for me so he sat next to me. He sat and ate a large amount of soup while sniffling and watching Veggie Tales, which I had turned on earlier in an attempt to distract him, and after that he was a new boy, happy and willing! Unfortunately not too much longer after that I got called into work so he went to Grammy and Grandpa's and I headed in. One of these days I'm going to get a fit on tape for posterity!

1 comment:

The Birdsell Clan said...

I love the zoo pics! Can you send them to me so I can show grandparents? I know what you mean about both the sweetness and temper of little boys! Glen is so happy all the time, but can really throw a fit if he doesn't get what he wants! I agree, a video of one would be funny for posterity (or blackmail)!