Wednesday, October 14, 2009

More recent news...

So we have been home for a while now, Luke is still being supper cute, and a little bit ornery. Last week right after getting back from Indiana Greg had to go to Cleavland for a week for work so Luke and I spent a couple of those days at my parents house while I was on call or working. Luke is so sweet at their house, but he knows how to make Grammy laugh! One night he spent about twenty minutes spitting as hard as he could! Thanks goodness he doesn't do that all the time or it wouldn't be so cute!



It is definitely fall now. My dad and uncles harvested some early milo and some corn already and are busy planting wheat whenever it is dry enough to get into the fields. It will be a few more weeks before the late milo is ready, but Luke and I already got in one short ride with Grandpa on the combine!



My sister mentioned in her blog that Fall makes her feel like a Susie Homemaker, and it does that to me too! Suddenly I want to make all kinds of thing, applesauce, hummus, soups of various kinds, and lots of knitting!!! I have three main projects going right now. I have a pair of socks I started back in the spring, but other projects have kind of edged them out for now. I am working diligently on a pair of leg warmers for my sister for Christmas! They are turning out really nicely I think. I am enjoying them. Most recent of all I decided to go to the store yesterday and get yarn for a new hat and mittens to go with my brown wool coat that I got last winter. The colors are a burnt fall orange and lime green! I am not using a pattern but am kind of winging it. I think the mittens will be mostly green and the scarf mostly orange, but I am planning on putting at least one stripe of the other color on each item to help them tie in together. The yarn was on sale 2.50 a skein, not bad at all, and it is supper soft, pima Cotton and tencel. I already have about half a mitten on my needles! I just hope I can figure out the thumb right!



Another neat thing that has come with the fall is a new happier relationship between Sam (our dog) and Luke. Until now they would very cautiously occupy the same space when they had to, and most of the summer Sam stayed outside all day so that was pretty rare. But now with the cooler weather Sam is back to being a mostly indoor dog and suddenly he and Luke are best buds. The first day Sam was inside all the time I came down stairs in the morning and sat down to eat breakfast and Sam was lying on the living room floor. Luke came in and decided that looked like fun so he lay down next to Sam! Something that never would have happened before! Later on something even more amazing happened. Sam is head shy, he doesn't like anyone coming directly towards his head, I think in his previous home he was used to getting smacked by a lot of special needs kids. Sam was lying on the couch at the time and Luke came over and put his face right down in front of Sam, nose to nose, and just sat there like that for about two minutes before going back to his play. I have to admit that I was terrified that Sam would snap at him, I have heard of even very gentle dogs snapping at people who blow in their faces and Luke was definitely in Sam's space! Once Luke went back to playing I breathed a sigh of relief and then immediately wished I had caught the precious moment on camera!



Things I am looking forward to... Mom and I got tickets to see Wicked on the 24th! I am so excited!!! Halloween. We have been invited to my cousins, Mark and Amanda's, house for a costume party and I think it will be a lot of fun. I am also thinking it might be fun to take Luke to the zoo's trick or treat thing the week before. I got him a lion costume from Etc Shop but so far he is afraid to put on the foam lion mask! As much as he liked hats I thought that would be a breeze, it really doesn't cover the face at all, just goes around it and the lion's snout sits on top of the head. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.

1 comment:

Bekah said...

aww i miss fall. CA has no real fall lol :)