Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Happy Birthday Luke

On this day seven years ago my firstborn came into this world.  I remember being so excited that I welcomed each contraction, thinking this one is bringing me closer to you!  I won't say it wasn't hard or painful but it was also joyful, and not just at the end.  I had waited so long for us to be ready, for us to be in a good place with school done and jobs and a home and I had been afraid sometimes that I would never get to see that day, that maybe in waiting we would miss our chance.  Finding out that you were coming was one of the best days of my life and I cherished each day with you ever since.  Long before I could even feel you move inside me I was filled with joy just knowing that you were there.  I couldn't wait to meet you!







Sometimes people complain about how hard parenting is, about the sleepless nights and the diapers and the crying and later the whining and attitudes.  I understand, those things aren't easy, but the love I have for you makes those things seem less than they did before I knew you.  I love you so much, that I will take all of it, the good and the bad, just for the chance to be your mother.  I promise that I will always love you, even when you have bad days and I am angry with you I will still love you, no matter what.  


I am so proud of you!  I have watched you grow up, learning so many new things from the moment you learned how to breath to now as I watch you learn how to read!  I have also watched you learn how to be a big brother, how to be kind to everyone, how to make things right when you have done something wrong, how to be helpful, how to teach others things you have learned yourself.  I know it isn't always easy to be the oldest, I have been there and I know that I expect a lot from you, but you are such a good big brother and Aaron and Sarah love you so much!





You have a good heart!  God gave me an amazing gift when he allowed me to be your mother, and he has given you many good gifts.  You are learning how to use the gifts he has given you to help those around you.  You are smart and funny and creative and strong and most importantly you are loving.  As you continue learn how to use your gifts I pray that you let God be your teacher, that you learn to love and trust him above all else.  He is the perfect parent, I have messed up sometimes in the past and I will in the future, but God's love for you is perfect and more than anything he wants you to love him back with your whole heart.  If you do that then he will use even your mistakes to bring about goodness.  Your verse that we always say together is Isaiah 41:10, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."  


Luke is having a pool party so that he can invite his entire class plus a few other friends!  We made the invitations together the other day and he decorated each one with a picture of a person swimming in the pool and his name.  He chose different colors for different people in his class based on what he thought they would like and he made little differences on each one.  On one he wrote his name backwards, on another he said the e went crazy, on another he made a dot-to-dot for his friend.  It was a lot of work but he didn't stop until he had them all done and his art made them a million times better than they would have been otherwise.


No comments: