Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sarah Elizabeth Anne Myers, March 18, 2014

I can't seem to find the right way to start this post.  For me Sarah's birth was different from either of my others in a very special way.  My sister was here.  I believe that birth is an amazing experience and I will never forget the way each of my children came into the world or the people who helped me through the process, but I always thought that when I had my babies my sister would be beside me and I would be there for her, and until this one that just wasn't possible.  For weeks before Sarah's due date we planned.  I worried that Sarah would decide to come early and did everything I could to keep things low key, to not encourage labor, to keep this little girl safe inside until her auntie could be here with us.  Finally my sister got here on Friday the 14th of March and I breathed a sigh of relief.  Now Sarah could come and we were ready!  


From that moment on the count down had started.  From then on we waited for her eagerly!


Becca and I took the kids to the Zoo with Andrea and Charlie and Tim and walked all over the place.  We went and got manicures and pedicures!



(Becca's first pedicure!)


And afterwards we got new spring sandals since it was beautiful outside.  (-:


It suddenly seemed like she would never come!  What if she decided to be late instead of early like my boys were?  What if she didn't come until the end of Becca's visit and she didn't get to spend much time with Sarah?  Spring break was here and I wanted to be home with my boys and a new baby, not working and missing out on time with everyone.  Monday night I went to bed praying that Sarah would decide to come before I had to go to work the next morning.  I wasn't hopeful.  It seemed that I was always having contractions but never really doing anything. 


At about 1200 am I woke up to use the bathroom and noticed that the contractions were a little bit stronger but not close together and I thought they were probably still false labor so I went back to bed.


At about 1:45 I woke up again, this time the contractions were definitely a little tender but still irregular and infrequent, so when Aaron woke up coughing I lay down with him to help him go back to sleep and didn't think anything of it.  After a while Aaron fell back to sleep and I got up.  The contractions were stronger and I thought they were real labor but I didn't know how long I would have.  I told Greg to get things ready to go and I washed my hair and got dressed, then I told Greg we needed to go NOW!  The contractions had become much more frequent and intense and suddenly I wasn't sure if we were going to make it to the hospital.  We called my parents and Becca to let them know we were coming to drop off the boys and pick Becca up and we called the hospital to let them know we were on our way.  We almost changed our minds and went straight to the hospital but I really wanted Becca there and I was afraid that if we didn't take her with us she might miss it.  I decided that even if we had to deliver in the van I would rather do that then risk her missing Sarah's birth.  After all, I am a labor nurse and Becca isn't squeamish so I figured we ought to be able to handle it if we had to until we could get to the hospital.  


The drive seemed to take forever even with Greg driving as fast as he dared.  We called the hospital again on our way there telling them to have everything ready since we weren't even sure if we would make it.  I did better at handling the contractions once Becca was in the car with us, I was able to stay in control and relax better even through the pain knowing that she wouldn't miss it.  We got to the hospital and they had everything ready except that my midwife had not been called yet!  I got changed and they put the monitors on for about 10 minutes while they started my IV  and checked me (I was already 7 cm), and as soon as they would let me I got into the tub.  A long time ago I had asked one of the nurses I work with if she would be my labor nurse and she just happened to be on call that night so when I called the first time I told them to call her in.  Rusty was invaluable to me, helping me focus and telling me I was doing a good job even when I felt like I didn't know if I could do it this time because the pain was so intense compared to what I remembered it being with my other births that weren't as fast.  I kept asking if Sharon, my midwife, was there yet and I was worried she wouldn't get there in time.  I kept telling them, "I think I can do two more contractions in the tub." At one point they asked if I felt like she was coming now, if I needed to get out and I said not quite yet but that if only Sharon would come she could break my waters and Sarah would be born right away.  Then after another two contractions my waters broke on their own and then I really thought I wouldn't be able to hold on until she got there.  


Somehow I managed.  Suddenly Sharon was there.  The next contraction I had to push, I couldn't help it, but I held back enough not to deliver in the tub.  Between contractions they managed to get me to the bed and with the next contraction Sarah made her way into the world with only 2 short pushes.  It all happened so fast, we got to the hospital at 0428 and Sarah was delivered safely into my arms at 0504.  


For the next 40 minutes Sarah screamed her little lungs out!  It was as if she was mad about the birth experience and was determined we all should hear how awful it was for her.  (-:  I remembered how just a few nights prior I had woken up with some strong contractions that I almost thought was labor until they went away, and how after each one she would kick and punch like she was furious and pitching a fit.  Eventually she settled down and nursed a good long time, then we wrapped her up and let Daddy and Becca get a turn with her.





Eventually they weighed and measured her and we called our parents to let them know how everything had gone.


Sarah weighed 7 lbs. 0.5 oz. and was 18.25 in. long, my shortest and fattest baby!


Once she settled down she has been pretty content ever since.  



My gown was made for me by a friend from church, Kathleen Neff.  It was beautiful and a very special part of our hospital stay.




Soon my parents brought the boys and Tim to come see us and little Sarah.  Aaron ran right over and gave her three quick kisses and then was off playing, and Luke wanted to hold her right away!





They boys each chose a stuffed animal for a present for Sarah and I got them each a present from her to open, switch and go dinos!  


They were a really big hit!






First family pics!  With three people holding cameras who do we look at?



We had a really good visit and right at the end Aaron came over to where I was sitting with Sarah and wanted to touch and kiss and hold her!  He spent about 5 minutes with me just loving on her!  I had been worried that he would be frightened by the strange room and not handle it well, but he has done amazing and all of his interactions with her have been so gentle and loving.  His latest thing is saying how cute she is!







Sarah has done so well, nursing and sleeping well and crying only when she needs something and then easily soothed.  She has gotten lots of good family time with my family and we hope it won't be too long before she gets to meet Greg's family.  I am so grateful that Becca was able to be there and for Rusty and Sharon and all the other nurses who I work with and who helped take care of me.  


Sharon Foster, my midwife, and Sarah at 1 day old.


1 comment:

Mrs. Bartel's School Family (Alyce) said...

Thanks so much for writing this down and giving us a glimpse into that special day! What a beautiful little girlie.