Monday, November 16, 2009

Sweet nothings...

Luke has been waking me up lately with kisses! He had done this in the past and stopped, but he is up to it again in a slightly more little boy fashion and less little baby. When he used to wake me up with kisses he was still in the open mouth phase and he would usually land a big slobbery wet kiss on my nose or chin to wake me up. Now he gives closed mouth kisses and when he wakes up he sits up and positions himself right in front of my face and then leans over and gives me a peck somewhere on my face and then sits back and smiles at me while I crack one eye open at him and smile back. Usually one kiss isn't enough to wake this sleeping beauty up all the way so he repeats this several times until I keep my eyes open and ask if he wants to get up to which he very happily replies, "lyeah!" I am guilty of dragging it out a bit, but who could resist the chance to get one more sweet kiss from such a sweet little boy! The other day I think I got about 15 kisses!


............................................................................................................


Yesterday Ben and Andrea invited us over spontaneously and we had a very nice lunch with them! They made grilled cheese sandwiches and two kinds of soup, a curry soup by Ben and a Chicken taco soup Andrea made, I think from the Regier cookbook. Both were delicious! Luke didn't eat much but spent the majority of his time entertaining, I guess that is his job description at this age, being the only grandchild in my family. I was amazed at how much he remembers between visits. We haven't been to their house in quite a while, I think the last time we were there it was still summer? but he remembered their fish and where the fish food was and where Andrea's little pig figurine collection is and everything.

.................................................................................................

He is getting better and better at throwing and catching a ball and we spent a lot of time sitting in a circle on the floor around him tossing a tennis ball back and forth with him. We didn't stay supper long because he was about to crash and burn, but we had a lot of fun and he actually gave both of them kisses before we left.

..........................................................................................
Some other things that are changing.... He wants to read longer books with me and he wants to read them over and over again, especially the One Fish, Two Fish book. Tonight Greg was reading to him and he was fine with Greg reading the dinosaur book to him but he only let Greg read a few pages of the One Fish, Two Fish book before taking it and giving it to me to read. Greg tried to stop him and get him to let Greg finish reading it but Luke burst into tears and was so sad that Greg gave in and so we switched, Greg held Luke while I read.
...............................................................................................
Luke is suddenly really good at puzzles. He doesn't have them memorized or anything and he still has to try out a couple of different options sometimes before he gets it right, but he has the patience to work at it and the understanding to figure out how to turn pieces and move them around to get them in the right spot. Tonight he was doing one that has different colored shapes, each color is repeated once but the shapes are all different, and I noticed him try shapes that were similar in each other's spots as well as trying a pieces that were the same color in each other's spots before going back to the spot that they were intended for. It was interesting, like watching him figure out that even though they were similar in one aspect or another they were not the same. Before I saw him work on that puzzle I couldn't have told you if he understood that sort of thing at all or not yet, but he definitely is getting it. He worked on that puzzle for about ten minutes at a time a couple of different times today, taking the pieces all out and putting them back again!
..................................................................................................
Luke is able to sit through the majority of Church now and play quietly, though usually he goes out for the sermon. He is also going up to the front for the Children's Feature now with an adult. He likes sitting with the other kids and doing what they do. This is sometimes interesting if the person leading the Children's Feature asks one or two kids to do something on the stage because he wants to go up and stand with them while they do it too! He is so far really quiet whenever he goes up for Children's Feature, his eyes get big and serious and you can just see him taking it all in and trying to figure it out. This Sunday when he needed to go out he followed a little girl into Children's Church instead of to the nursery and he wanted to stay there and play. They said it was fine and he was totally ok with me leaving so I did and he did great and was not ready to leave when I came to get him. (-:
.....................................................................................
We have a half way finished coat closet under the stairs that Luke really likes to play in. He goes in and shuts the door behind him and then after a while he comes out to check on us and then goes back in again. Today he started whining to get our attention and when we looked at him he waved bye-bye at us until we said bye-bye to him and then he went in and closed the door! He did that over and over again, so funny! I wish I would have caught that on video!
..................................................................................
Being Luke's Mom is so much fun for me, I hope I don't screw up too badly! There are things I know I could do better sometimes, but I love him so intensely and I hope that no matter what happens he will always know that. He is getting so big so fast, I can hardly believe that he is already 20 months old. Some parts of his early days are so clear and other parts have become blurry already, even though it seems like only yesterday that I could feel him move inside me and wondered what on earth he could possibly be doing in there! Motherhood is such a precious and awesome gift, I hope I can carry as many of these moments with me as possible through life.

No comments: