Sunday, April 5, 2009

first scar


That's right, my baby's face is forever scarred... On the third he was standing close to me in the kitchen while I made dinner and all of the sudden he lost his balance and went face first onto the edge of a paint can that was close by. It was closed and dry and he started crying immediately. Since he had basically just bent over and hit the paint can without much momentum I really didn't think he was that hurt but I picked him up and held him close and after a couple of seconds I pulled him off my chest to get a look at him.... and blood was pouring down his face! I yelled for Greg and grabbed a handy clean black towel out of the drawer, wet it and slapped it on his forehead. When Greg got there we added an ice pack and the three of us went to sit down so we could get a better idea of what needed to happen and so that I could keep pressure on the cut more easily with out Luke trying to pull my hands off his face. Poor baby, oh how he cried. We tried several things to calm him down and finally started reciting his favorite books to him which got him quiet but snuffly so we could figure out the next step. His cut was not bleeding as hard anymore but it looked pretty deep and definitely wasn't going to stay together on it's own. We debated using steri strips or supper glue and Greg ran to the store to get some, but I still wasn't convinced it didn't need stitches and since it was on Luke's face I really didn't want it to be a big scar. I called my work and my mom and they suggested we take him to this immediate care center close to the hospital so I called them while we waited for Greg to get home and they said that they were open until 8pm and you only paid your normal copay for a Dr's office visit, SOOO CHEAP! When I heard that I figured it would be worth it to get him checked out, even if they told me we could have just put steri strips on it at home I would have peace of mind for only $25! Greg got home and we took him in, and sure enough, he needed the stitches. He got six total!





This pic above was when he snuggled up and fell asleep in my arms tonight after a traumatic little cleaning with peroxide, I hate the stuff!

So... now we have the adventure of trying to keep his hands off the stitches and keep the wound clean. The Dr said to leave it open to air and clean it with peroxide two or three times a day so that it doesn't form a big scab, but that seems to be easier said than done. Today I took Luke to the park to enjoy the warm weather and let him run around outside, thank goodness I decided to put a couple of band aids over the cut before hand because he decided that throwing sand over his own shoulders was a lot of fun, I have no idea why he decided that might be fun but he spent a good ten minutes doing it! I wish I had taken the camera and gotten a video of him doing it because it was hilarious. Looked kinda like an elephant spraying muddy water over it's back. When we got home I took off his clothes and diaper outside, thank goodness it was still warm, and then he got an early bath! As you can see for the most part it doesn't seem to bother him.








So, a few pics from earlier... Luke cracks me up everyday with something different. Today was the sand dusting. Yesterday he wanted to get up way before I was ready so instead of getting out of bed I grabbed one of his little toys, a duck, and tried to entertain him with it. He thought
it was hilarious when I would make the duck nod or shake his head and eventually Luke started trying to nod his head yes with the duck, something he hadn't really mastered before. It is so deliberate and exaggerated that it made me laugh. Wish I had a video of that too.




Another day Luke found Papa Myers' hat that he left at our house last time he was here and had a blast walking around with it on his head and then bringing it to me when it would fall off.








March 27th we had pizza for supper and after we were all done and busy doing things Luke decided he wanted another piece! I caught him in the act with pizza toppings and sauce all over the place!









March 25th we Took Luke to get his hair cut professionally for the first time. (I cut it the weekend after Thanksgiving but decided it was worth paying someone else to do the next one.) We went to a good family friend, Jennifer. She has cut almost all my family's hair including cousins on both sides so I thought she should get the honor. (-: I was pretty nervous about how it would go so I took my mom along and several books and toys which we read without much luck. Luke really did extremely well but the trick it turned out was that he found two new favorite things, the squirt bottle full of water which he wanted us to spray in his mouth for him to drink, and the buzzer/clippers, which he wanted to feel vibrating in his hand and nearly put him into a trance. My mom took pics and sent them too me over email so here are just two.




A few weeks ago he was in love with pushing my exercise ball around the living room and sometimes would push it up a wall until it fell back down behind him. He also still loves to sit on my lap while I bounce on it or to watch me or Greg make it bounce like a big basket ball.



You can see how long his hair was before we cut it again.



Here are the spring flowers that bloomed in March, just before it decided to snow and they all went away...









Well, that's about it for now, kind of the belated short backwards version of the last few weeks. I have a couple of really cute videos that go along with some of the cute things Luke has been doing, but I haven't had time to edit them down to a size that I can upload yet so that will have to wait. In the mean time we are really busy getting ready for Easter, the MCC sale, and Greg's dad visiting to see us and help out with the home remodeling projects Greg wants to do.

1 comment:

submarinesubmarine said...

Poor little guy!!! Cute haircut though. He looks all grown up. Thanks for posting all this. I was just telling Mom that I really wanted some more pictures of Luke. I also really want to talk to you sometime. It's been way too long. Email me a good time to call, ok?