Tuesday, April 14, 2009

few new things...

We are enjoying having Greg's dad here with us, though I have to admit I am seeing much less of him than I thought I would. I work four days this week and next week I work three and am on call for a fourth. Also with Easter last weekend and the MCC relief sale coming up not to mention a wedding shower for a cousin of mine our time is really scheduled pretty full. Still, (or maybe because of the fact that I and Luke are gone so much) Dennis is getting quite a bit done. I think Greg really wishes he could be off more so that he could work with his dad more of the time, but he has to work and his work is pretty strenuous so he comes home pretty exhausted and then puts in an hour or two with his dad before falling into bed. I think Dennis has figured out why Greg doesn't get much done when he's not here! (-;

Luke continues to amaze me. I think I can almost see him getting taller these days, and his teeth are definitely still bothering him quite a bit. The other day he was playing and found a can of pop that still had a few drops in it so he decided to dump them out onto the floor (the wood floor, thank goodness)! When I caught him he was rubbing it around with his hand looking very determined. I just thought he was playing with it, seeing how it felt on his hand and how it made the wood look darker, etc. Then that night when we were taking a bath he needed something to occupy him for a minute so I asked him to wash my knee, something I have never done before but I thought, I have washed him every night for a long time, maybe he will figure it out... And he got right to work, just like when he was "playing" on the floor, washing my knee with his hand! I totally hadn't expected him to really do anything and here he knew exactly what I had asked him to do and was doing it!

Later after we got out he was sitting on the floor playing while I got dressed for bed and when I was done I looked down to see what he was getting into. He had found one of his socks in the laundry and was very diligently trying to put it on his foot! I just sat down next to him and watched. At first he would grab any part of the sock and try to put it on his foot as hard as he could, usually just wrapping it around his toes. After a while though he found the opening in the top of the sock and worked very hard to get it open and then onto his big toe before he started pulling as hard as he could! He never did get that sock all the way onto his foot, just over his big toe! I tried to offer him one of my socks thinking that since it is so much bigger he would have an easier time getting it on his foot, but he knew it wasn't his sock and set it down on top of my foot and then went back to work with his own sock! I think he was working at it for a good twenty minutes before he got interested in something else.

It is so much fun to watch him learn new things...

1 comment:

Bekah said...

i know i love watching Caleb learn. his latest thing is spinning in circles to make himself dizzy & fall down lol