Monday, October 27, 2008

Rough weekend

Well, Luke has another first to add to the list, but not such a happy one, it's his first cold. )-: Saturday morning I woke up early to Luke crying, very snotty, and very warm. Greg got the thermometer out and he had a temp of 102.6! He couldn't find the Tylenol so he ran to the grocery store to get more while I got up with Luke (way earlier than usual at 7am). Before he got back I had found the Tylenol and given him some. An hour later his temp had come down some but was still 100.8, but he was happy and playing and didn't seem at all bothered by it. We had gotten tickets from one of the Dr's I work with to the K State/OU game that morning and were planning to leave him with my parents and since he seemed to not be bothered and the Tylenol was working we decided to go ahead with plans. Also I talked with another nurse I knew and after talking about his symptoms we agreed that there was no reason to take him to the Dr unless his temp spiked higher, they wouldn't do anything we weren't already doing.

The game was a really fun experience. I have never been to Manhattan, KS and the drive was beautiful with the rolling hills and fall grasses all different colors. A K State game is a totally different experience from a Notre Dame game. At Irish games the student section is all green but the rest of the arena is all different colors, it's high spirited and fun but K State fans have a unique feel to them. The entire arena was packed with people wearing purple, only a few red sections for the OU supporters but almost everyone had their team color on. My cousin Greg said that it used to be that people all wore grey or white with purple letters and were kind of ashamed to be purple but then they started a campaign for purple pride to get everyone to come to the game wearing purple and now everyone does! K State ended up losing in a very high scoring game but we had a lot of fun anyway.

We came home and mom reported that Luke had been very mellow and sweet all day and had slept for three straight hours in the afternoon, at least twice the usual length. We figured the cold was getting to him a little bit but his fever seemed to be mostly gone so that was good. Unfortunately his nose was very, very runny and that meant that his mouth was his only good airway. That meant that eating was hard, sucking on a paci to comfort himself was out of the question, and his mouth was constantly open so he was soaked with spit! We had a really rough night, his fever came back though not as high and he was really frustrated with trying to nurse with a clogged nose. Sunday was pretty long too, he had times when he was pretty happy and playing but I could never be far away and sometimes there just wasn't anything that could distract him from how icky he was feeling. The Mei Tai Baby I bought was a total lifesaver. It was the only way I could do anything requiring two hands and he was pretty happy in it most of the afternoon.

I think the stuffed nose is beginning to ease up a little bit now and his fever is down again so I am hoping tonight will go better. I guess this is relatively good timing for him to be sick though because I don't have to work the next two days so he can have lots of snuggling to cheer him up until he is feeling like his old self again. Until then my time is pretty much consumed by his needs. One interesting thing I noticed was that since his nose got clogged Saturday he has not wanted to eat solid foods at all for me, only nursing will do. Usually when I am home he eats solid foods at least a couple times a day along with nursing as often as he wants to but nursing doesn't seem to satisfy him all the time anymore. Usually he really enjoys trying new foods and I can't get the food to his mouth fast enough, but today he refused to even try anything. I'm not sure if it's even harder to breath while eating solid foods and that's the reason or if it is the fact that nothing seems to taste good when you can't smell or if it's just instinct telling him that breast milk will be the best thing for him right now, plenty of fluids and lots of good nutrients and antibodies to help him get better. Anyway, it's interesting to me..

The mei tai allowed me to make soup for dinner tonight, the first I have made this fall. I made my favorite, lentil and sausage soup from the "More With Less" cookbook. It is supper easy and doesn't take long, if you have the ingredients in the house. I got all the way to adding the lentils, the last thing before you sit back and let it cook, and realised I would have to make a trip to the store! I ended up getting quite a few other things we needed which was ok, but I would have rather eaten a little earlier and gone shopping tomorrow or the next day if necessary. Oh well, the soup was really good. Even though I hate being cold there are definitely some things I love about fall... All the beautiful leaves and grasses and milo fields, scarves and warm snugly blankets and shawls, hot tea with milk in it, soup, crisp apples, squash/pumpkin dishes, candy corn, and knitting! I am over half way finnished with the first sock for my Mom and it is turring out easier than I thought and very pretty. I just hope I can get done with all my Christmas projects before it's Christmas! Time seems to be going by so quickly!

Happy Fall everyone and I hope we are the only sickies!

No comments: