Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Vaccines

So last week and this week Luke had his 4 month check up and vaccines. I make them spread them out but was not quick enough withresearchign the vaccines to really decide if I wanted to keep him from getting certian ones or to have them wait on a few until later or what. After the first two shots last week he had a low grade temp for two days, even with the tylenol, and he and I spent most of the first day in bed napping and nursing together almost constantly to help him through it. I know the temp is normal but I hate it, and so I was talking to some friends at work about what they have learned about vaccines.


In the US up until 1985 kids were only given 12 vaccines before the age of 5, currently we give 35 and the number of vaccines required for kindergarten is climbing. Denmark on the other hand continues to only give 12 and spaces them out more so that it is not as hard on the small child's body. Also the consensus seemed to be that some vaccines are good and very necessary, think about how awful polio was, or tetnus, but that others were unnecessary and more of a convienience item at best, so that kids wouldn't be home from school withthe chicken pox for example. Also I personally don't think that vaccines cause Autism, but I do think there is a link, perhaps vaccines trigger it in children who are already at risk. Just think about this, when a child is diagnosed with Autism shortly after having vaccines they treat it the same way that they treat vaccine toxicity and some kids they even manage to bring back to normal in this way. Anyway, this web site has good information and some helpful sugestions. http://www.generationrescue.org/vaccines.html


It is all a little daunting, thinking about talking to your Dr. about not doing what is currently the norm and recomended course, especially since I didn't start off on this course, but I am Luke's mother and it is my decision, not the government's or the Dr's. Currently the only way to send your child to school with out all the extra vaccines is to either get your Dr to sign a paper saying that your child cannot have them for medical reasons like an alergic reaction, or to sign a paper yourself that states that your religious beliefs do not allow you to give your child those vaccines. It's a lot to think about.

In the mean time my baby is still healthy and mostly happy, though a little sore from the shots. He is weighing in at 16 lbs already and is 26 inches long. We are looking forward to playing with Aunt Becca when she gets here on Thursday!!!!

1 comment:

SubSub said...

I can't wait to get there!!! Just one more day of work and then I get to come home!