Monday, July 14, 2008

New hat!

Well, we are busy busy right now! Saturday was our Sunday School class' turn to host at the homless shelter and most people were on vacation and for once I was not working and I felt like Luke was old enough that he would do ok and I wouldn't have to stay in the ofice with him the whole time so we went! There weren't a ton of people there but it was a good evening. I wasn't sure quite what to expect, sometimes there are up to 20+ people there, sometimes only a few, sometimes they want to talk and sometimes they don't, occasionally there are issues with people, but usually things are calm. When Greg, Luke and I got there the supper crew were just finnishing putting things away and were ready to go home. There weren't more than 10 or 12 residents there. It was interesting in that unlike the salvation army shelter we had been to before these people were residents of the shelter, they had their own bed and linnens to take care of, did their own laundry, each had chores they were responsible for and there were rules to live by and for the most part it really works. They make sure the chores get done before bed time, they check their mail, they pretty much do their own thing. With Luke there most of the residents came up to talk to him at some point, or at least watched him and smiled at him from accross the room. Greg also brought some of our games along and ended up playing with a couple of residents until lights out. A few more people from our Sunday School class came, mostly my cousins, and when Luke was hungry I took him to the office to eat and after lights out all my cousins who were left came back there too and we talked while Luke slept. Anyway, it was fun and educating.
These pictures are just to show off the supper cute hat Kristen made for Luke! It's so adorable, I hope he doesn't grow out of it too fast!

It took quite a while to get him to look up!

So, why are we so busy? I think we just procrastinate too much. We are going to visit family in Indiana at the end of July and next weekend is my cousin's wedding plus my sister and several other cousins will be here from far away so we want to spend lots of time with them. In the mean time I haven't gotten anything lined up for our vacation yet. The dog needs to go to the vet and I need to find a place for him and our rat to stay. I have to go to Wichita for several errands that can't be put off much longer. Both the cars need to be cleaned and we are trying to decide whether to fix the airconditioning in one or to rent a car while we are gone. I think we are running out of time on some of these things. I also need to line up child care for after we get back since my parents will be out of town then. The list keeps going. I guess we will do what we can and forget the rest. People always come first on my agenda and I am really looking forward to spending lots of time with a few I don't get to see much!

A few fun things, maybe I'll take pics later.... We went to an estate sale and found a few treasures! An antique potty chair, a few cool puppets and toys Luke will enjoy, an old sewing machine and a comfy roking recliner, to name a few. I also resently got a few cool nursing shirts, wearing one in the pics above, and found a great recipie for lactation cookies! http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/LACTATION-COOKIES-1252680

Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the cookies...thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

i hear a guiness beer every day works wonders... personally i'd rather have the cookies!

traditional medicinals also makes a tea.

-leah

Anonymous said...

yea! I'm glad you posted a photo of the hat! I forgot to take one of little Luke in that! It was so fun seeing you guys and hanging out at your house!--Kristen