Sunday, June 24, 2012

Grandparents...

Today, well technically yesterday, was my birthday and I wanted to thank everyone for all the birthday greetings!  I had a good day, mostly just hanging out with my boys and my Bartel Grandparents.  Greg made me breakfast in bed and spent the evening working on the demolition phase of our kitchen remodel while I took the boys to my Bartel Grandparent's house to hang out and do laundry.  (Greg has already put our washer and drier in the garage.)  Luke has been asking for ages to go play at their house and it just hasn't worked out very well, but today when I called my Grandma spur of the moment it just happened to work perfectly.  Since my grandparents put their house on the market none of us knows how much more time we will get to spend at their beautiful place and I am grateful both for my time with them and my time with them in that space that has so many memories for me, making new memories for my boys and I.  

..........................................

When we got to my grandparent's house I took Aaron upstairs to finish his nap and then started a load of laundry.  It was super hot outside but Luke wanted to play outside anyway so we had a job trying to convince him to wait until after supper so that it would have a little time to start cooling off.  He played with Grandpa down stairs in the basement for a while on the pool table and bowling and then made me something in their play kitchen and then I said it was time to eat.  Luke informed all of us that he was not hungry and did not want to eat, even after we told him that Grandma has made his favorite, spaghetti, corn, and applesauce. He tried to show me where Grandma keeps her chocolate gram-crackers in the freezer in the basement and we tried to convince him to eat by promising him some after supper, but he still insisted that he wasn't hungry.  I told him we would save him some food and when he was ready to eat we would get it out for him, but the rest of us were going to eat now because we were definitely hungry.  After supper we went out to hang up some of the laundry and he wanted to play outside so Grandma went out with him for a bit and then Grandpa went out.  Luke kept tearing into the house and hiding from Grandpa and then Grandpa would have to come find him again.  He really wanted to play baseball so eventually we got out the bat and ball for him.  Aaron finally woke up about then so I got to go out too and took a few pics and a video of Grandpa and Luke!



This is just a short clip of them playing ball together.  Then Luke wanted me to take a picture of him ringing the doorbell....


And I got a few pics of Aaron playing...



...with Grandpa....



And Luke being silly and making Grandma laugh while I was trying to take a picture of him.



Of course Luke didn't decide that he was hungry until the sun had set and I told him it was about time to go home.  Then suddenly he was very hungry and ate a full plate of spaghetti and corn and a LOT of dessert, both of those chocolate gram-crackers and of apricot bars that grandma had made.  Very yummy!  I sat with them for a bit and had some dessert myself and then went to get all the laundry in the car.  When I came back for Luke he had finished putting away his toys and was eating 2 more desserts!!!  My grandma definitely knows how to spoil a boy.   (-:  We didn't make it out of the driveway until about 5 after 10!  Anyway, we had a good time and my boys had a lot of fun with my grandparents too.  They are so generous and I love them so much.  

1 comment:

Mrs. Bartel's School Family (Alyce) said...

Thanks for sharing about your time with Grandma and Grandpa. It is interesting to me that your boys love to do the same things as my boys once did. And wonderful pictures. A day to treasure for sure.
Alyce